Your #1 Source For Anything And Everything Boston Celtics and NBA!

HomepageHomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Top 09-10 NBA Rookies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mike O'Hara
Waterboy

PostSubject: Top 09-10 NBA Rookies   Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:22 pm

One of my favorite things about NBA is watching the new guys come in and flourish or flounder or show flashes of potential. Every season i pay very close attention to the rookie class and I am always looking for that guy who exceeds expectations. Last year we saw a bunch of rookies turn heads in their first season such as O.J. Mayo, Russ Westbrook, Brook Lopez, Courtney Lee and Derrick Rose to name a few.

So who are the big time rookies this year, how are they playing and what does the future look like for them?

Rookie Stars

Brandon Jennings, PG, Milwaukee Bucks - If you haven't watched this kid play yet, you’re missing out. Think A.I., but a little bit more of a true PG. Had a 55 point night, the most by a rookie in about 40 years, and has helped lead the Bucks to their surprising .500 record averaging 20.5 ppg, 6.1 apg and 3.8 rpg. He is already showing he can put the scoring load on his back in crunch time and hit clutch shots, which is extremely rare for a rookie. He needs to work on his FG % and shot selection and has some room for improvement on D as well as a need for fewer turnovers. Expect Jennings to continue his great play and be ready to hear him listed among the premier NBA PG's in the near future. Would be hands down the top rookie thus far if not for...

Tyreke Evans, G, Sacramento Kings - Strong, athletic, driven. This guy is tough. Plays solid D and drives to the basket. Has been the bright spot of the Kings season averaging 19.8 ppg, 5.2 apg and 5.0 rpg. A physical presence at the PG spot, Evans has been getting to the rim and the line. With the injury to Kevin Martin, Evans has become the key cog in the Kings success. Evans still shows a lack of experience and forces shots at times, also needs to cut-down on turnovers. Another rookie who is showing he is capable of leading his team, Evans is on track to be an integral member of the next group of NBA stars. As of right now, the Rookie of the Year award looks to be a two man race between Evans and Jennings.

Solid Rookies

Johnny Flynn, PG, Minnesota Timberwolves - Thrust into the starting PG job in Minnesota, Flynn has showed the skills necessary to be a top NBA PG. Averaging 14 ppg And 4.2 apg, Flynn has shown the ability to create opportunities for his teammates. Flynn needs to improve his scoring and seems to still be adjusting to the NBA game. If surrounded by the right players and used properly, Flynn will surely be in the top tier of NBA PG’s over the next decade.

Stephen Curry, SG, Golden State Warriors - Playing solid minutes in the 2 spot for Nelly’s Warriors, Curry has had some solid games. Averaging 11.8 ppg, 4.5 apg and 3.5 rpg, Curry is flashing the potential of a legitimate NBA SG. He has been filling up the stat sheet, contributing across the board for the up tempo Warriors. Needs to improve his consistency and gain experience. Curry is showing he will be a threat to become one of the top SG’s in the NBA.

Keep an eye on ‘em

James Harden, SF, Oklahoma City Thunder - Personally, I really like this guy as an NBA player. Smart and athletic, he can play inside and out. Hasn’t exactly been seeing consistent minutes, but when he clocks good time, look out. Harden has been filling up the stat sheet when given the opportunities, averaging 11.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg and 2.8 apg. I think this guy just needs to get the minutes to find his rhythm and he could easily become one of the top rookies, though he does need to improve his FG %. Keep an eye on Harden and watch him become a star later this season or next.

Ty Lawson, PG, Denver Nuggets - Can you say athletic? Freak athlete, amazing hops. Plain fun to watch. Averaging 8.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg and 3.4 apg, Lawson has played an important role for the Nugs as their backup PG. Needs to adjust to NBA defenses and opponent size. Has shown great shooting touch and ability to get to the rim. Lawson looks to be on track to be at least an excellent role playing NBA PG.

Taj Gibson, PF, Chicago Bulls - I don’t know where he went to school but it must have been a boarding school, because Gibson leads all rookies in rebounding with 6.3 rpg. Add that to 8.5 ppg and Gibson looks to be on track to become a solid power forward in the NBA. Has decent range for a PF and seems to get better with each game. Poor free throw shooter and could use some more muscle. Once he gets the minutes, Gibson’s name should be mentioned as one of the top up and coming PF’s in the NBA.

Other Rookies to Keep an Eye on: Omar Casspi - Sacramento Kings, DeJuan Blair - San Antonio Spurs, J’Rue Holiday – Philadelphia 76ers, Jonas Jerbko - Detroit Pistons, Tyler Hansbrough – Indiana Pacers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Falcon63
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Top 09-10 NBA Rookies   Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:32 pm

Great article! I'll be sure to post this on the site Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://celticsinsider.webs.com

Top 09-10 NBA Rookies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1